I. Assigned “Roll of Film”
This is a BEFORE-CLASS exercise recommended to give your eyes some practice at looking
at a variety of potential picture ideas. Either shoot or pretend to shoot the following with a
film camera or digitally. Try a couple of versions of each of the following categories:
1. put a maximum of 8 objects on a table(a chance to create still lifes or is it lives!?)
2. a view out a window
3. a corner of a room
4. a view down a street
5. a landscape looking into the distance (ocean, river, fields, mountains, whatever)
6. a landscape with objects closer to you (a backyard, enclosed garden, etc.)
II. Photos Required for the Workshop--Choose 2 of your favorites
1. Bring the original snapshot or a digital printout in color to class. Ideally these should be taken by you.
The goal is to have a subject you’ve seen with your own eyes. Do not bring a postcard or other professional
photography, which creates copyright issues.
2. Enlarge the favorites in black and white, 2 copies each, as large as possible on 11” x 17” paper. If you like,
make the image even larger by enlarging the 11”x17” copies. This will require working with sections and taping
them together. Bring the photocopies to class.
III. Supplies Needed
the original snapshots or printouts AND the photocopy enlargements
tracing paper pad 14” x 17” (or 11” x 14”, if you want to tape sheets together)
ruler (best Cthru, 18”)
fine point Sharpie or other very black smooth writing pen
a mechanical pencil with soft leads
scissors for fabric
1/2 yard of white cotton fabric (a heavier weight preferable but not required)
a sampling of fabrics (dark to light, prints, solids) chosen with your photo in mind
ALSO bring for TWO OR MORE DAY workshop:
2 yards of an iron on, paperbacked fusible webbing: Wonder Under by Pellon is good,
also Heat n Bond Lite (not Stitch Witchery because it’s not paper backed)
scissors - for cutting the fusible which is backed by paper
portable ironing board & iron or tacker (opt)
If there are questions, contact Carol Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org or 857-253-1904.
Also see www.carolannegrotrian.com.